Limited dated December 5, 1995 was replaced by a shareholders agreement dated December 15, 2000 entered into between Grasim Industries Limited on behalf of the Aditya Birla Group, Tata Industries Limited on behalf of the Tata Group and AT&T Wireless Services Inc. on behalf of the AWS Group following which our name was changed to Birla Tata AT&T Limited on November 6, 2001. Consequent to the introduction of the ?Idea? brand, our name was changed to Idea Cellular Limited on May 1, 2002. The AWS Group exited from the Company on September 28, 2005 by selling 371,780,740 Equity Shares of the Company, which constituted 50% of the holding of AT&T Cellular Private Limited in our equity share capital, to ABNL and by transferring the remaining 371,780,750 Equity Shares to Tata Industries Limited.
The Tata Group ceased to be a shareholder of the Company on June 20, 2006 when Tata Industries Limited and Apex Investments (Mauritius) Holding Private Limited (formerly known as AT&T Cellular Private Limited) sold all their shares in the Company to the Aditya Birla Group.
On October 26, 2006, P5 Asia Investments (Mauritius) Limited (?P5 Asia?) acquired 14.60% of our Equity Share capital. Under a Governance and Exit Rights Agreement dated October 23, 2006 between P5 Asia, ABNL and Birla TMT, so long as an initial public offering has not occurred and P5 Asia holds no less than 10% of our Equity Shares, ABNL and Birla TMT are required to procure that (a) our Company and its Subsidiaries shall not take or pursue any of the following actions without P5 Asia?s prior consent (such consent to be obtained in a board and/or shareholders resolution) including in respect of (i) any merger with, acquisition of, or amalgamation or consolidation with another company or business; (ii) assuming or permitting to exist any borrowings or indebtedness in the nature of borrowings if the amount of all such borrowings of our Company and its Subsidiaries would exceed Rs. 6,800 million; (iii) entering into a new line of business; (iv) increasing our authorized or issued share capital; or (v) entering into a joint venture and (b) our Company makes available to P5 Asia certain financial information relating to our Company and its Subsidiaries such as monthly management accounts, quarterly unconsolidated balance sheet and profit and loss account and the annual audited consolidated balance sheets and profit and loss accounts.
P5 Asia also has a right to appoint one director to our Board so long as it holds at least 10% of our total issued and outstanding Equity Shares. Mr. Biswajit Subramanian has been appointed to our Board by P5 Asia pursuant to the exercise of the above right. In addition, any IPO of our Equity Shares requires P5 Asia?s written consent, and, further, in any such IPO, P5 Asia has the right to offer for sale such number of Equity Shares representing up to 10% of the total Equity Shares which are held by it. By its letters dated December 2, 2006 to ABNL and Birla TMT, P5 Asia has given its written consent for the Issue and has confirmed that it does not intend to offer for sale any of the Equity Shares held by it in such Issue.
We, either directly or through our Subsidiaries, provide mobile services in the Andhra Pradesh, Delhi, Gujarat, Haryana, Kerala, Madhiya Pradesh, Maharashtra and Uttar Pradesh (West) Circles, and have recently launched services and as such are in the process of fully rolling-out our network in the Uttar Pradesh (East), Rajasthan and Himachal Pradesh Circles pursuant to licenses issued by the DoT.
The chronology of key events of the Company from incorporation is set out below:
Incorporated as Birla Communications Limited
Obtained licenses for providing GSM-based services in the Gujarat and Maharashtra Circles
following the original GSM license bidding process
Changed name to Birla AT&T Communications Limited following joint venture between Grasim Industries and AT&T Corporation
Commenced operations in the Gujarat and Maharashtra Circles
Migrated to revenues share license fee regime under New Telecommunications Policy (?NTP?)
Merged with Tata Cellular Limited, thereby acquiring original license for the Andhra Pradesh Circle
Acquired RPG Cellular Limited and consequently the license for the Madhya Pradesh (including Chattisgarh) Circle
Changed name to Birla Tata AT&T Limited
Obtained license for providing GSM-based services in the Delhi Circle following the fourth operator GSM license bidding process
Changed name to Idea Cellular Limited and launched ?Idea? brand name
. Commenced commercial operations in Delhi Circle
. Reached the one million subscriber mark
Reached the two million subscriber mark
Completed debt restructuring for the then existing debt facilities and additional funding for the Delhi Circle.
Acquired Escotel Mobile Communications Limited (subsequently renamed as Idea Mobile Communications Limited)
Reached the four million subscriber mark
First operator in India to commercially launch EDGE services
-Reached the five million subscriber mark
-Turned profit positive
-Won an award for the ?Bill Flash? service at the GSM Association Awards in Barcelona, Spain
Sponsored the International Indian Film Academy Awards
-Sponsored the International Indian Film Academy Awards
-Became part of the Aditya Birla Group subsequent to the TATA Group transferring its entire shareholding in the Company to the Aditya Birla Group
-Acquired Escorts Telecommunications Limited (subsequently renamed as Idea Telecommunications Limited)
-Restructuring of debt
-Launch of the New Circles
-Reached the 10 million subscriber mark
-Received Letter of Intent from the DoT for a new UAS License for the
-Received Letter of Intent from the DoT for a new UAS License for the Bihar
-Circle through Aditya Birla Telecom Limited. ABNL, the parent of Aditya
-Birla Telecom Limited, pursuant to a letter dated November 22, 2006, agreed to transfer its
entire shareholding in Aditya Birla Telecom Limited to the Company for the consideration of
Rs. 100 million.
-Won an award for the "CARE" service in the "Best Billing or Customer Care Solution" at the GSM Association Awards in Barcelona, Spain
-Initial Public Offering aggregating to Rs. 28,187 million and Listing of Equity Shares on the Bombay Stock Exchange and the National Stock Exchange
-Merger of seven subsidiaries with Idea Cellular Limited
-Reached the twenty million subscriber mark
- Idea Cellular Ltd has informed that the Board of Directors of the Company at its meeting held on October 20, 2008, inter alia, has appointed the following persons as Directors on the Board of the Company:
1. Mr. R C Bhargava - Independent Director (Additional Director)
2. Mr. P Murari - Independent Director - (Additional Director)
3. Dr. Hans Wijayasuriya - Non Executive Director (Nominee of TM International Bhd).
-Idea acquired 9 licences for Punjab, Karnataka, Tamil Nadu & Chennai, West Bengal, Orissa, Kolkata, Assam, North East and Jammu & Kashmir
-Acquired Spice Communications with the operating circles of Punjab and Karnataka
-Launched services in Mumbai metro in the largest single metro city launch, ever
-Launched services in Bihar
-Subscriber base as on December 31, 2009: 57,611,872
-Idea becomes a pan-India operator
-Emerging Company of the Year - fastest growing mobile operator in the world?s fastest growing telecom market
- IDEA wins prestigious Golden Peacock Award 2008 for My Gang
- IDEA and Babajob launch a unique wap portal for job seekers in the informal sector
- Firstsource & Idea announce a five-year Outsourcing Partnership.
- Idea Cellular - Auction of 2.1 GHz band (3G Spectrum)
- Idea Cellular ties up with Indian Railways
- Idea cellular wants to provide 3G services in 4 circles out of the 11 that it has, for the same it has contacted Nokia Siemens Networks for deployment of equipment and services.
- Nation gives a thumbs up to Idea Oongli Cricket
- IDEA Cellular recognized as the ''Most Customer Responsive Company'' in the Telecom sector by Avaya GlobalConnect
- In order to provide assistance to 700 million mobile users regarding the services of mobile number portability, idea cellular has started a helpline number just before the three days of its launch.
- Launch of ''Idea MyCash'', Powered by Axis Bank
- Idea introduces special International Roaming offer
- Idea user becomes first Indian to win ?Panchkoti Mahamoney? on KBC
- Idea wins ?Best Brand Campaign? at the prestigious World Communication Awards 2011
- Department of Telecom (DoT) has said that the proposal of Malaysia based Axiata group to raise 1 per cent stake in Idea cellular to 21 per cent would not create any fresh security threat for the country.
- Idea Cellular declared as winner in 2G Spectrum auction
- Idea, one of the leading telecom brands in India, continues to buzz in the global arena! It has now bagged the prestigious World Communication Awards 2012 (WCA) under the ?Best Brand Campaign? category at the recently held awards ceremony in London.
- Idea Cellular launched its new communication campaign, with a catchy jingle which has immediately gone viral! ?Idea Rings All India?, the new advertisement from Idea, depicts the diversity, footprint, and seamlessness of our country, and how Idea?s customers benefit from its pan-India network.
- Idea wins at the prestigious World Communication Awards 2012, second year consecutively
- ?Ivory? from Idea most affordable Android 4.0 Smartphone launched in India.
-Idea Cellular Ltd Signs Unified License with the Department of Telecommunications
-Idea Cellular introduces buffet plans for post-paid subscribers
-Idea wins 900 MHz for Delhi, and 4G in 8 strategic markets
-Idea Cellular Ltd Board recommends Dividend
-Microsoft has tied with Idea Cellular to launch operator billing on the Windows Store for Idea subscribers
-Idea Cellular Ltd has successfully retained the crucial 900 MHz spectrum and won 54 MHz of 900 MHz spectrum
-Videocon Telecommunications sold its spectrum in Gujarat and UP (West) circles to Idea Cellular at a valuation of Rs 3,310 crore
-Idea launches world-class, high-speed 4G LTE services in all four Telecom service areas of South India
-Idea Cellular launches 4G in all 5 states of South India, Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, Kerala, Tamil Nadu and Telangana
-Idea launches 4G services in four more states
-Idea Cellular unveils 4G in Orissa
-Idea Cellular launches Easy Share Plan
-Idea covers 10 telecom circles with its world class 4G LTE services